GENERAL ADOPTION FAQS
Because it can be devastating to the animal when adoptions don’t work out, we work in the animal and the adopter’s best interest in determining the best possible match. The potential adopter’s age, home situation, other animals in the home, and other factors (including pet deposit for renters, and fenced yard) are considered before an adoption is approved. We encourage the entire family, particularly if there are young children, to be a part of the adoption process.
DOG ADOPTION FAQS
Dogs under 6 months are $175.
Dogs 6 months and older are $150.
Please visit our Adopt a Dog page to see available dogs.
Yes. AAR’s Sit-to-Stay program is a multi-faceted plan that includes doggy playgroups to encourage socialization, basic training on leash walking, sitting and staying, and behavioral training as needed. Key AAR dog volunteers have attended seminars, attended dog training courses and work regularly with well-known dog trainers and behavior experts.
Yes, we prefer for you to bring your own dogs and may “hold” approving an adoption pending the dogs meeting. You will have to sign a form releasing AAR from any liability due to the dogs’ behavior with each other.
AAR adoption volunteers are familiar with the dogs’ temperaments and personalities and will work with you to find the dog that best fits your family and your circumstances.
Yes. AAR can answer questions about a dog’s behavior at the shelter, and can refer you to qualified trainers and experts in behavior rehabilitation.
QUESTIONS TO ASK YOURSELF
- What will your life be like in 5 or 10 years?
- Will you be adopting the pet by yourself or with someone?
- How much time can you dedicate to your pet each day?
- How much household destruction can you handle?
- Can you afford to own an animal?
- Can you afford an emergency vet bill of $1,000-$2,000?
- Do you have support from others when working late or traveling?
- What do you hope for from having a pet?
- Do you have the time and resources for proper training?
- Can you provide a stimulating environment for the pet?
CAT ADOPTION FAQS
Kittens and cats are $30. Please visit our Adopt a Cat page to see our available kittens and cats.